Are we out of work next month?

Ralf Habacker ralf.habacker at freenet.de
Thu Jun 16 02:38:32 CEST 2005

Am Mittwoch, 15. Juni 2005 21:30 schrieb Angus Leeming:
> Christian Ehrlicher wrote:
> > I don't think that there will be much progress after 4.0 release. I'll
> > maybe only port some really needed code back to 3.3 (if this is
> > possible) and try to get 4.0 compile with msvc & borland. There wasn't
> > much response on our binary 3.3 relases and also noone except me seems
> > to have time to fix bugs nor someone will get a working site on
> > qtwin.sf.net. It's a little bit disappointing  ...

As far as I can see is the wiki online and mostly stuff seems to be imported.
Thanks to Chris January ?

> Chin up! Bug fixes require bug reports and bug reports require users. As
> soon as a serious, high profile app using Qt/Win Free gets released to the
> wider public, you can be sure you'll be getting bug reports. And, because
> the developers of said app are a committed bunch, you'll get people dipping
> their fingers into your murky waters.

The recent way to get lyx running seems to me very straightforward, because it
is overseeable. If mostly bugs are fixed the remaining bugs will be harder to
find and to fix.

The main reason I think is that everyone is waiting for qt 4.
If people supporting a qt3 app will see that the required porting efforts
requires about 30% efforts as ealier stated, they probably will think about
if qt4 is really needed and they may come to qt3 win for a windows port.