Building QT/Win32 Free with mingw -- additional info to add to the page

Ralf Habacker ralf.habacker at freenet.de
Tue Jan 11 22:24:30 CET 2005

On Tuesday 11 January 2005 19:39, Jay Snyder wrote:
> I had some difficulty with compiling QT/Windows Free Edition on MinGW
> (using the following page):
> http://kde-cygwin.sourceforge.net/qt3-win32/compile-mingw.php
>> I found that I needed to remove all references to my cygwin installation
> from my path, or mingw32-make was trying to use c:\cygwin\bin\sh.exe as a
> shell instead of CMD.EXE.     Since the mingw32 makefiles for the win32-g++
> qmakespec are written to use CMD.EXE, this is a problem.
>
> If I removed cygwin from my path, then the configure.bat build worked fine.
>
> Please add this info to the page on compiling with mingw so others can
> benfeit.

Thank you for this pointer. I've added this note.

> One final comment, it took about 3 times as long to do the build with mingw
> than with Visual Studeo .NET 2002 (msvs7).  Is this normal?
>
> It took over four hours on my 1.8 GHz P4m Thinkpad T30.

I noticed that mingw-gcc is slower than cygwin-g++, which I hadn't expected at
first and that both are slower than msvc or borland compiler. I remember too
that the microsoft runtime library msvcrt.dll used by mingw-gcc has lesser io
performance than for example cygwin, which may not be expected too.
io-performance is very important, because c++ code tends to be use huge
include file line sizes.

It may help to try ccache http://ccache.samba.org/ for more informations or
distcc, if you have more computer.