Building QT/Win32 Free with mingw -- additional info to add to the page

Jay Snyder jay.snyder at comcast.net
Tue Jan 11 19:39:13 CET 2005

I had some difficulty with compiling QT/Windows Free Edition on MinGW (using
the following page):

http://kde-cygwin.sourceforge.net/qt3-win32/compile-mingw.php

I found that I needed to remove all references to my cygwin installation from
my path, or mingw32-make was trying to use c:\cygwin\bin\sh.exe as a shell
instead of CMD.EXE.     Since the mingw32 makefiles for the win32-g++
qmakespec are written to use CMD.EXE, this is a problem.

If I removed cygwin from my path, then the configure.bat build worked fine.

Please add this info to the page on compiling with mingw so others can
benfeit.

One final comment, it took about 3 times as long to do the build with mingw
than with Visual Studeo .NET 2002 (msvs7).    Is this normal?

It took over four hours on my 1.8 GHz P4m Thinkpad T30.

Thanks for all the great work on QT/KDE!

Jay Snyder