Building QT3/X11 Free within Cygwin Bash Shell

Steven Boothe steven at poiema.org
Mon Feb 28 20:49:25 CET 2005

Steven Boothe wrote:
> Ralf Habacker wrote:
>
>> Hi Steven,
>>
>> for compiling qt3 you should use recent cvs branch QT_WIN32_3_3_BRANCH
>> or a recent source snapshot from http://kde-cygwin.sf.net/snapshots/qt
>>
>> A compile instruction could be found under
>> http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/kde-cygwin/qt-3/cygwin/Attic/README?rev=1.1.2.1&hideattic=0&view=markup

Wow, I've now duplicated my success following your excellent
instructions contributed here:
http://kde-cygwin.sourceforge.net/qt3/compiling.php

However following my success compiling, I think you may have forgot that
compiling under cygwin you just can't go to run the apps like you can
when compiling for QT3/Windows Free Edition where the instructions are
the same:

Start Qt applications

designer
assistant
linguist
cd tutorial/t1
t1

However, when attempting to do that following the previous instructions
on the page for QT3/X11 I get the following errors:

cboothe at IT-staff ~/src/qt-3
$ designer
designer: cannot connect to X server 127.0.0.1:0

cboothe at IT-staff ~/src/qt-3
$

Hence my question as to whether following instructions still available
via the README will solve the problem, or whether I should go back to
the page on setting up KDE and follow those?

4. enter this directory and install the binary package into
(tmp/package/...)

	./make.sh qt-x11-free-3.3.3.ebuild install

5. create a package (will be located under /tmp)

	./make.sh qt-x11-free-3.3.3.ebuild package

Because I think the last part of your instructions

Thanks as usual for all of your help and hard work! We couldn't have
come this far without it!

Cheers!

Steven