qt4 win32-msvc2005 manifests

Christian Ehrlicher Ch.Ehrlicher at gmx.de
Wed Dec 14 22:02:16 CET 2005

Marco Feuerstein schrieb:
> I am sorry, I accidently hit the send button before.
>
> Have you ever tried to use the Qt4 DLLs generated by the Visual Studio 2005
> makefiles?
> Visual Studio 2005 introduced the generation of so-called manifests, wherein
> the path to the required visual studio dll (e.g. MSVCR80.dll) is specified.
> These manifests have a similar name and reside in the same directory as the
> DLLs (e.g. QtCore4.dll.manifest for QtCore4.dll).
>
> However, if a DLL is called/used by any program, it needs to have this
> manifest information embedded. Otherwise you will just get an error message,
> saying that the application has failed to start, since MSVCR80.dll was not
> found.
> The Qt makefiles for Visual Studio 2005 as provided by Qt/Win currently do
> not embed this manifest information automatically. I had to embed it
> manually by calling e.g.
> mt /manifest QtCore4.dll.manifest /outputresource:QtCore4.dll;#2
> for every Qt DLL after a successful build.
>
> For more information on that topic you can refer to
> http://www.grimes.demon.co.uk/workshops/fusWSThirteen.htm#unmanaged_versioni
> ng
> or
> http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms235542(en-US,VS.80).aspx
>

> Do you think that it is possible to generate Qt4 Makefiles for Visual Studio
> 2005, which automatically embed the manifests into the DLLs?
> (How such a makefile would look like is described here:
> http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms235591.aspx)
>
> Thanks a lot for your thoughts!

I had this already as a feature request for 4.0 but discarded it because
trolltech did not implement this - at least I found no hint for a
presence of this feature.
But since I hit the same problems and need qt4 to compile kdelibs4 with
msvc2005 I maybe should take a look on this.
Thx for your links.

Christian