qt4 win32-msvc2005 manifests

Marco Feuerstein feuerste at cs.tum.edu
Wed Dec 14 09:17:23 CET 2005

I am sorry, I accidently hit the send button before.

Have you ever tried to use the Qt4 DLLs generated by the Visual Studio 2005
makefiles?
Visual Studio 2005 introduced the generation of so-called manifests, wherein
the path to the required visual studio dll (e.g. MSVCR80.dll) is specified.
These manifests have a similar name and reside in the same directory as the
DLLs (e.g. QtCore4.dll.manifest for QtCore4.dll).

However, if a DLL is called/used by any program, it needs to have this
manifest information embedded. Otherwise you will just get an error message,
saying that the application has failed to start, since MSVCR80.dll was not
found.
The Qt makefiles for Visual Studio 2005 as provided by Qt/Win currently do
not embed this manifest information automatically. I had to embed it
manually by calling e.g.
mt /manifest QtCore4.dll.manifest /outputresource:QtCore4.dll;#2
for every Qt DLL after a successful build.

For more information on that topic you can refer to
http://www.grimes.demon.co.uk/workshops/fusWSThirteen.htm#unmanaged_versioni
ng
or
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms235542(en-US,VS.80).aspx

Do you think that it is possible to generate Qt4 Makefiles for Visual Studio
2005, which automatically embed the manifests into the DLLs?
(How such a makefile would look like is described here:
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms235591.aspx)

Thanks a lot for your thoughts!

Best regards,
Marco