Some errors in compiling Qt 3/Win32 on Cygwin and other stuff...

Ralf Habacker ralf.habacker at freenet.de
Mon Jun 28 21:02:42 CEST 2004

On Saturday 26 June 2004 13:45, Ole Jacob Hagen wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I've just compiled Qt 3/Win 32 (Branch: QT_WIN32_3_BRANCH) almost
> successfully with GCC-3.3.1.
>
> There was an error in the Makefile, here.
> But I replaced this Makefile, with the Makefile that was in the
> QT_WIN32_3_2_BRANCH branch.
> Then it compiled almost successfully, but there was an error in builing
> designer.exe-
Which Makefile are you refereing ? The Makefiles except for qmake are produced
by qmake. Can you see where the problems are in the related .pro  file  does
qmake produces wrong makefiles ?

> Designer.exe was not created but assistant.exe was created.
> There was a linking error in tools/designer/app folder, when building
> designer.exe
> I will try to look into this error. And try to fix this....
> Have you already solved it? What did you do? Should I use gcc-2, instead?
gcc3 is well.

> How can I compile Qt 3/Win 32 with MSVC?
> Does it work without Cygwin, if I do that? This would be nice.

There were some efforts to implement msvc support. At least Peter Kümmel and
Thaigo Correra from the wpdev project have sumitted some support. Mostly of
them are in cvs, but at that time no usable configure tool was provided, so I
applied the patches I saw usefull.

Last week I saw that recent wpdev qt release contains a qt based configure
tool, which I have tried to apply to the QT_WIN32_3_BRANCH with some errors.
I will inspect what there is wrong and add this configure to the kde-cygwin
cvs.

> Are you reaching your milestones, related to make a native
> Qt-implementation.
When the configure is working, a msvc based qt release is much more nearer,
although there are still some points open (see stage 4 on
http://kde-cygwin.sourceforge.net/qt3-win32/roadmap.php), but we will see.

> Do you have some source I can use, please?

Yes, give me some time to fix the above problems and this will be possible.

The only problem is that currently I have only an old msvc 6++ release, which
hangs in XP when a compiling or linking error occur, which makes debugging
very annoying. I will see how far I can reach.