KDE on Cygwin - rootless mode

David Orme kde-cygwin@mail.kde.org
Tue, 19 Nov 2002 08:54:24 -0600

Hi all,

I recently got KDE going on Cygwin in the new X11 rootless mode
(installed last Thursday through Cygwin setup) and had a couple of
questions:

- It appears that Konquerer (or is it KDesktop?) in KDE 2 and later
opens a full-screen window, thus defeating rootless mode altogether.
KFM doesn't do this but instead draws its icons directly on the X root
window or maybe uses 1 small window per icon.  In any case, KFM and KDE
1.x works really nicely in Cygwin in rootless mode, including drawing
icons nicely on the X root window, but I haven't been able to duplicate
this behavior in KDE 2.x.  Does anyone know how to do this?

- Periodically kioslave gets stuck in a loop whilest eating 100% cpu.
  This appears to randomly happen when I launch an application from
either KPanel or KFM.  I'm able to restore functionality by killing it
from Windows task manager.  Does anyone know why this happens and/or how
to prevent it from happening?  (I'm willing to look at / compile sources
if necessary.)

Thanks in advance,

Dave

--