KDE on Cygwin - rootless mode

David Fraser kde-cygwin@mail.kde.org
Wed, 20 Nov 2002 11:34:43 +0200

David Orme wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I recently got KDE going on Cygwin in the new X11 rootless mode
> (installed last Thursday through Cygwin setup) and had a couple of
> questions:
>
> - It appears that Konquerer (or is it KDesktop?) in KDE 2 and later
> opens a full-screen window, thus defeating rootless mode altogether.
> KFM doesn't do this but instead draws its icons directly on the X root
> window or maybe uses 1 small window per icon.  In any case, KFM and
> KDE 1.x works really nicely in Cygwin in rootless mode, including
> drawing icons nicely on the X root window, but I haven't been able to
> duplicate this behavior in KDE 2.x.  Does anyone know how to do this?

Yes, see the thread "seamless x server available" on 2002-10-29 for info
on how to do this.
If you're not subscribed to the mailing list you can see this at
http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-cygwin&r=1&b=200210&w=2
Basic summary:
Edit startkde, change as follows:
[old]  kdeinit kcminit +kdesktop +kicker
[new]  kdeinit kcminit +kicker
then replace the ksmserver command (further down) with kwin
David