RKWard is in kdereview - again

Nicolas Fella nicolas.fella at gmx.de
Mon Mar 28 14:39:55 BST 2022

Hi,

I recently used RKWard for my Master Thesis, cool project!

A couple of observations:

- CommitPolicy.txt still mentions Phabricator, that should point to
Gitlab instead

- CommitPolicy.txt mentions Ubuntu Trusty as base for requirements, that
is *ancient* by now, maybe 20.04 would be a more reasonable base?

- The repo doesn't have Gitlab CI, that should be added

- Optional/nice-to-have: We tend to use SPDX indentifiers for license
headers these days, maybe think about converting the existing headers

- You are using QtScript, which is deprecated. What's your plan for that?

- I see you are distributing stable Windows releases, but there are no
stable build jobs for that on binary-factory.kde.org

- Consider adding links to the Windows releases to the appstream
metadata. That way they show up on apps.kde.org/rkward. See
https://invent.kde.org/utilities/kate/-/merge_requests/667 for an example.

- On Windows we tend to use the Breeze QStyle since that looks and works
quite a bit better than the "native" style. See
https://invent.kde.org/utilities/kate/-/blob/master/kate/main.cpp#L110

- Consider adding a color scheme selector (KColorSchemeManager) to the
menu. On Windows that gives you dark mode support for free (this only
really works nicely when using Breeze QStyle). See
https://invent.kde.org/utilities/kate/-/blob/master/kate/katemainwindow.cpp#L235

- On Windows the title bar shows a generic icon instead of the RKWard icon

- Consider publishing RKWard on the Microsoft Store

- Consider publshing RKWard on Flathub

Feel free to reach out for questions/help with any of this.

Cheers

Nico