Move Licentia to KDEREVIEW

David Redondo kde at david-redondo.de
Mon Aug 8 20:05:44 BST 2022

Am Montag, 11. Juli 2022, 13:34:14 CEST schrieb Kevin Kofler:
> David Redondo wrote:
> > Am Montag, 11. Juli 2022, 12:37:09 CEST schrieben Sie:
> >> Please note that Gitlab and other places still do rely on LICENSE (or
> >> COPYING) files being present (and I guarantee there is distribution
> >> tooling out there that does the same too) so I wouldn't be too quick to
> >> shoot down LICENSE files in the root of repositories.
> >>
> >> Cheers,
> >> Ben
> >
> > That ship has long sailed.
> > At least for frameworks and most of plasma has been converted.
>
> In the case of the GNU licenses, it is actually a violation of the license
> to not ship a LICENSE/COPYING file along with the project. (This matters as
> soon as you incorporate even a handful lines of third-party code under the
> same license.)
>
> It is also Fedora policy that upstream SHOULD include a license file and
> that we will file bugs upstream to request them being added where they are
> missing. I believe that Fedora is not the only distribution with such a
> policy.
>
> So any commits removing license files ought to be reverted ASAP. A pointer
> is not enough.
>
>         Kevin Kofler

Do the licenses really require these specially named files? Note that all
used licenses in the repo are all included in the repos in a LICENSES folder.
it would be a massive oversight and afaik there were never complains from
fedora when this was started three years ago (https://phabricator.kde.org/
T11550)

David