Should we consider project basenames unique?

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Wed Nov 24 10:02:40 GMT 2021

On Wed, Nov 24, 2021 at 10:28 PM Harald Sitter <sitter at kde.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 24, 2021 at 10:02 AM Ben Cooksley <bcooksley at kde.org> wrote:
> > Which means you either provide the path (plasma-mobile/plasma-dialer) or
> you need to go look in the metadata anyway.
>
> If names are unique (not persistent, just unique) and plasma-dialer is
> what I want to release then I know plasma-dialer is called
> plasma-dialer because I'm a plasma-dialer dev. I can then call
> releasme with the argument  'plasma-dialer' and releaseme can work out
> the path from that because the name is global unique so there is only
> one plasma-dialer and that will be what I want to release.

In the specific case of releaseme for 99% of projects the situation you've
described is true, so what you are talking about is a non-issue.
There are only a small handful of projects where identifier != repository
name, and the developers in charge of those projects should be able to
handle that and be aware of the difference - usually because they requested
it.

I have no idea why this is all of a sudden a problem for Arch Linux.

> HS

Regards,
Ben