New repo in kdereview: plasma-settings

Bhushan Shah bshah at mykolab.com
Mon Feb 15 06:16:24 GMT 2021

Forwarding message, since had wrong reply to address in previous message

----- Forwarded message from Bhushan Shah <bshah at mykolab.com> -----

Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2021 11:44:14 +0530
From: Bhushan Shah <bshah at mykolab.com>
To: Harald Sitter <sitter at kde.org>
Subject: Re: New repo in kdereview: plasma-settings

On Mon, Jan 25, 2021 at 03:29:18PM +0100, Harald Sitter wrote:
> On 25.01.21 08:05, Bhushan Shah wrote:
> > Hello everyone!
> >
> > I want to move plasma-settings repo to kdereview, it is settings
> > application used by the Plasma Mobile, it is based on Kirigami.
> >
> > https://invent.kde.org/plasma-mobile/plasma-settings
> >
> > Main difference between plasma-settings and original system settings
> > application used in plasma desktop is, this code is much more lean and
> > modern, it is my understanding that long term idea is to replace the
> > original systemsettings code base with plasma-settings. But for now this
> > is mobile specific.
>
> kpackage is very grumpy during cmake stage
>
> no appstream data :(
>
> Not sure if intentional but ModulesModel actually doesn't constrain to
> settings KCMS. It'd also display info center kcms as well as (I think)
> plugin KCMS (e.g. krunner's)

It is not intentional, but thinking about this I think it is fine, we
are filtering them out based PLASMA_PLATFORM anyway.

> not installing a hicolor icon

We are reusing system settings icon from theme anyway, so not sure if I
need to install something?

> I am pretty sure l10n isn't working. I can't see the translations domain
> set anywhere (mind you, kcms likely work; --help might now)

src/main.cpp sets the translations domain to plasma-settings, but that
said, it is wrong, it should be mobile.plasma-settings, will fix it.

> Along a similar note the package/ dir isn't covered by a Messages.sh and
> consequently isn't actually i18n'd. I suggest moving package into src/
> and the main Message.sh into src/ as well and let it cover everything
> inside. It'd clarify extraction responsibility somewhat.

Done that, 796bba52ae04559fe19465455e3446bc20819711

> might be worth making the source reuse compliant

Done : a59007f383308503e59498b3036e1483bca26e35

https://invent.kde.org/plasma-mobile/plasma-settings/-/merge_requests/79

> I am very certain that lots of code inside modules/info/ was copied from
> kinfocenter's about-distro but lacks any attribution to its original
> authors *cough* including your's truly

Done: 21715b762e8399555e2c9ad3b02f163d7c30153f

--
Bhushan Shah
http://blog.bshah.in

----- End forwarded message -----