KCGroups in KDEreview

Henri Chain henri.chain at enioka.com
Thu Nov 26 10:52:59 GMT 2020

On Saturday, November 21, 2020 1:38:47 AM CET Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> El divendres, 20 de novembre de 2020, a les 14:55:16 CET, Henri Chain va
escriure:
> > Hello everyone,
> >
> > KCgroups has been moved to KDEReview !
> > What is that, you ask ? It's a library that wraps the systemd dbus API to
> > expose a higher-level concept of desktop application and allow control of
> > its system resource usage (CPU, RAM, IO, etc).
> >
> > It relies on the recent ability of plasma to launch applications in their
> > own systemd scopes, with correspond to cgroups and provides a more robust
> > definition for an application (more details at
> > https://lwn.net/Articles/834329/ ) .
> >
> > The main use of the library is to expose related resource control settings
> > for those applications, at a user space level that other KDE applications
> > and frameworks can use, including consumption straight from QML as
> > demonstrated in the test application.
> >
> > KCgroups is intended to become a (Tier 1) framework. A first user of this
> > library might be the foreground window CPU booster daemon that is
> > available
> > here:
> > https://invent.kde.org/libraries/kcgroups/-/tree/work/foreground-booster
> >
> > Packages are already available for both Neon and Arch Linux.
> >
> > Looking forward to your feedback and ideas for using this,
>
> I'm a bit scared about your optional class being there all in the main
> namespace. I'd suggest putting in some "namespace kcgroups{}" or name it
> kcgoptional or something.

Fixed in https://invent.kde.org/libraries/kcgroups/-/commit/
1e0a6576a75b3f1f94ee62cf24e1818ace739e29 .
The optional implementation was intended to be a stopgap for c++14 and be
fully compatible with the std implementation. I put it in its own namespace,
and changed the includes to use the std implementation when available

> you have a few properties without NOTIFY, ideally you should either add it
> if they can change or mark them as CONSTANT if they can't.

Clazy reports warnings mostly on the interfaces generated by qtdbusxml2cpp.
The NOTIFYs are truly missing from the underlying  dbus interface, which is a
design choice of systemd (and they aren't constant either). There was one
missing CONSTANT which was my fault however, fixed that in https://
invent.kde.org/libraries/kcgroups/-/commit/
d2130d24587a01237c892cfc4602e59102104e66

Thanks for the review!
Henri