Cleaning up remaining uses of download.kde.org/ocs/providers.xml

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Fri Nov 13 07:47:02 GMT 2020

Hi all,

Sometime ago we moved the endpoint of the OCS Providers file (which
supports KHotNewStuff) that we host from download.kde.org to
autoconfig.kde.org.
A while back we did a push to migrate the majority of the users of this
file to the new endpoint, however unfortunately it seems we missed a couple
of users in this.

They appear to be:
frameworks/knewstuff/tests/khotnewstuff.knsrc
frameworks/knewstuff/tests/khotnewstuff_upload.knsrc
kde/applications/dolphin/src/settings/services/servicemenu.knsrc
kde/workspace/discover/libdiscover/backends/KNSBackend/tests/testplasmoids.knsrc
playground/artwork/smaragd/src/smaragd.knsrc

It would be appreciated if we could please get these final users updated.

I should note that it would appear that one or more of these users may have
bug(s) in their implementations, as we often get bursts where the same
client will download the file 5-6 times in extremely short succession
(sometimes in the same second) - with the file
distribute.kde.org/khotnewstuff/fonts-providers.xml being requested
simultaneously at the same time as well usually too.

It would be fantastic if we could get that looked into as well please.

Many thanks,
Ben