Telemetry information in Pim apps + ruqola

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Tue Nov 10 10:06:21 GMT 2020

On Tue, Nov 10, 2020 at 6:55 PM Laurent Montel <montel at kde.org> wrote:

> Hi,

Hi Laurent,

> I didn't know that it must be necessary to speak about it on
> kde-core-devel
> ML.
> I discussed it with Volker during last Pim sprint for pim apps, for ruqola
> indeed no discussion as it used standard info.
> So I send email as requested
>
> Basically what we are requesting is (from Plasma at bulk, including
> the Plasma shell and Discover):
> - BasicSystemInformation Level:
> Application version
> Platform information
> Qt version information
>
> - BasicUsageStatistics
> Usage time
> Launches count
>
> - DetailedSystemInformation
> Screen parameters
> Number and type of accounts configured in KMail (receiver and sender).
> (for
> kmail only)
> Return the number of account. (ruqola only)
>
> - DetailedUsageStatistics
> Language and regional parameters.

Thanks for the above details.

Could you please supply links to the relevant code within the various PIM
applications using Telemetry so we can review the manner in which these
details are collected?

Of particular concern to me above is "screen parameters" as the
configuration of a device's screens carries significant information that
when combined with a few other datapoints is often sufficient to create a
unique fingerprint to identify the device. We'll therefore need to ensure
this is sufficiently fuzzed to eliminate that as a possibility.

> Regards

Many thanks,
Ben