KOpeningHours in kdereview

Volker Krause vkrause at kde.org
Thu Dec 10 20:36:27 GMT 2020

On Donnerstag, 10. Dezember 2020 21:09:23 CET Johan Ouwerkerk wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 10, 2020 at 6:00 PM Volker Krause <vkrause at kde.org> wrote:
> > The most notable feature gap compared to the official specification is
> > probably school holidays, we lack a collection of international data for
> > that so far. That only occurs in about 2k out of the 1.8M opening hours
> > expressions in the full OSM database, so that's not a massive problem in
> > practice.
> This may be more difficult than you perhaps realise: at least in the
> Netherlands such holidays are not fixed. They can vary regionally, as
> well from year to year and potentially also depend on
> denomination/religion. A good example of this is that in the southern
> part of the Netherlands care is taken to ensure Carnival falls within
> an official holiday, but the same might not apply "north of the
> rivers". (Additional fun complication is the temporary colloquial
> renaming of towns during the festival).

The public holiday data isn't included in this library, we depend on
KF5::Holidays for that. If that provides wrong information this will produce
wrong output as well of course.

What you can get however from KOpeningHours is the information if an
expression is relying on public holiday data, so you can make application-
specific decisions to what extend you trust the result if needed.

Regards,
Volker