Importing kdiff3 - was - Re: Aw: Re: KDE inclusion

Kevin Ottens ervin at kde.org
Fri Jan 26 07:27:55 GMT 2018

Hello,

On Thursday, 25 January 2018 22:35:37 CET Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> El dijous, 25 de gener de 2018, a les 9:01:10 CET, Kevin Ottens va escriure:
> > On Thursday, 25 January 2018 00:08:03 CET Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> > > As I did with the last person that also was confused and annoyed by all
> > > this burocracy, just ask me any question you may have.
> >
> > Oh come on... the bad mean bureaucracy argument now. Wanna look at the
> > Eclipse incubation process? Or the Apache one?
>
> Can I use the "if all your friends jump from a balcony will you do it"
> defense?

Not really since my point was more that what we have in place is very very far
from bureaucracy not that we should replicate other's bureaucracy. If you want
an example of bureaucracy look at those friends who jump from a balcony. ;-)

> > Seriously it's just about having a person already within the community
> > making sure the new project needs get catered to and also making sure the
> > new project is on the right path to put in place rules and procedures
> > compatible with the rest of the community (and the Manifesto).
>
> But how do you find that person? You're just an 'outsider', how do you find
> a random person to be your incubator guy? Because as it happens, it's the
> second time in a month or something that i have to volunteer.

Ah! That is interesting feedback. You're correct that we're currently assuming
that someone will step in to do that and that there's enough of us and that
we're responsible enough to do that when we see something we're interested in.

Personally for kdiff3, I'd have expected Kevin Funk to end up doing it, indeed
he was first responder with "I'd love to see kdiff3 being adopted by KDE
again". To me he sounded like a perfect sponsor.

I'd like to see that fixed. Right now, I'm not sure how, but if you're the
only one indeed caring about new projects getting in, we have a more general
community problem, it's just that the incubator makes it visible...

> I think it's much easier if we had guidelines and the rest was just "ask in
> kde-devel mailing list if you have further questions",

It'd be easier, but not better. Because then it's no different than "ask the
GitHub support if you have further questions", and it's not what it's about.

In my previous email I mentioned this is *also* for the "sponsor" to touch
base with the joining project to verify it's getting into fruition to *be* a
KDE project (which is not just about having a repository on our
infrastructure)... I know, pesky people and culture thing.

> and sure if you find a dedicated person for you, great, but requiring it
> feels weird, and also makes it for less scalability, as an example I already
> have an email from Michael that was sent only to me but anyone else in this
> list would have been able to answer, but he had to wait at least 14 hours
> for me to have time to answer it.

Maybe that needs to be made clearer in the wiki? I'd expect the sponsor to
push the involved persons to ask these type of questions on public mailing
lists indeed. One on one discussions are likely to happen but they must be the
minority of the communication going on. The sponsor in that case is the fail
safe mechanism to make sure an answer indeed happens in those public forums or
trying to solve the case if no answer happened for some reason.

Regards.
--
Kévin Ottens, http://ervin.ipsquad.net