liquidshell in kdereview

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Sat Dec 2 09:27:16 GMT 2017

El divendres, 1 de desembre de 2017, a les 14:05:19 CET, Sebastian Kügler va
escriure:
> On Thu, 30 Nov 2017 18:41:28 +0100
>
> Martin Koller <kollix at aon.at> wrote:

> > > I strongly disagree. Could you point me to the discussion?
> >
> > it was mail exchange in private (german) mails with the
> > breeze/oxygen-icons maintainer "kainz.a" <kainz.a at gmail.com>
>
> In any case, this is not just a visual design question, it's a branding
> and marketing question just as much, and a general communication and
> positioning question as well.

Yes, the logo has to be changed.

> I'm vetoing any move to released software at the very least until the
> logo has changed. I also don't think that a technical review of the
> code is enough to warrant us to ship liquidshell as a finished product,
> for the reasons that Martin Flöser pointed out. It would harm KDE as a
> whole and Plasma specifically (ironically, the product that you use
> most parts from).

This is an interesting position, are we supposed to subordinate technical
decisions to marketing now?

Also are you even sure we get better marketing by not allowing liquidshell to
be a KDE thing?

I can very well see headlines like "Plasma developers force other KDE
developers outside of KDE".

I would like to empathize that we are at our core Innovation.

And yes, I agree that doing a desktop shell in QWidgets doesn't seem like
Innovation to me, but Innovation is the process of having new ideas and
products.

Maybe this one has great "external" success and against your and my prediction
gives KDE 1000 new developers that besides contributing to it also end up
contributing to other parts of our software range.

Let's try to think positive :)

Cheers,
  Albert