Discontinuing repository tarballs

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Thu Nov 24 07:41:37 GMT 2016

On Thu, Nov 24, 2016 at 2:30 PM, Michael Pyne <mpyne at purinchu.net> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 23, 2016 at 08:17:29PM +1300, Ben Cooksley wrote:
>> HI all,
>>
>> As of late Sysadmin has been assessing what components of our
>> infrastructure are in active use and should be maintained going
>> forward.
>>
>> As part of this it has come to our attention that the repository
>> tarballs offered by our anongit network (tar.gz files of our
>> repositories essentially) are effectively unused - with only 19 hits
>> being received by one mirror in the space of a week.
>
> Not an objection, but the low usage may be due to the use of tarball
> repo snapshots being disabled in kdesrc-build for a few months now.
>
> Of course, kdesrc-build was using the snapshots by default out of an
> effort to be gentler to KDE source code repositories, so if it's easier
> for you all to forgo the snapshots entirely then I'm fully supportive.

It's definitely easier on the servers disks I think :)
The anongit servers haven't had any issues with load as far as I can
remember, so I think it's safe in this case for kdesrc-build to use
normal git:// or https:// clones.

If nobody objects in the next 24 hours i'd like to go ahead with
discontinuing the tarballs.

> Regards,
>  - Michael Pyne

Cheers,