Discontinuing repository tarballs

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Wed Nov 23 07:17:29 GMT 2016

HI all,

As of late Sysadmin has been assessing what components of our
infrastructure are in active use and should be maintained going
forward.

As part of this it has come to our attention that the repository
tarballs offered by our anongit network (tar.gz files of our
repositories essentially) are effectively unused - with only 19 hits
being received by one mirror in the space of a week.

These tarballs are generated by cronjob once per week, and are
effectively a duplicate copy of the repositories which must be held by
each anongit. Removing them will reduce the resources needed and
maintenance complexity involved to operate an anongit mirror, as well
as reducing load on the main git.kde.org server which generates the
tarballs.

If anyone has any objection please let us know.

Regards,
Ben Cooksley
KDE Sysadmin