mailing list archive gone ?

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sun Feb 28 22:40:24 GMT 2016

On Sunday 28 February 2016 15:58:09 Luigi Toscano wrote:
> Martin Koller ha scritto:

> >> No idea, but it's still on
> >> https://marc.info/?l=kde-core-devel&r=1&w=2>
> > What is the official address ?

> > and this pages says, the archives should be at
> > http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/kde-core-devel/

This link is automatically added by mailman even if there is no archive.
That's why for kdepim-users I have explicitly added the link to the
archive at marc.info. Also, I have recently activated archiving for
kdepim-users. Maybe the same should be done for kde-core-devel. (CC'ing
its admins.)

> > There's somewhere something wrong...
>
> Our lists were not indexed by us, but on marc.info, for historical
> reasons which I don't know. What I remember is recently the automatic
> aliasing of the index to marc.info could not be kept and, while
> recent lists have all their history on our servers, the older ones
> have still no archives. Ask sysadmins for more details, but it's not
> an unknown issue.

One problem was that lists.kde.org used to be an alias for marc.info.
That gave people, who, for whatever reason, wanted one of their messages
to be removed from the archive, the impression that the archive was
hosted by us. Since we cannot delete anything from marc.info and
therefore cannot comply with deletion requests, the alias was removed to
avoid confusion and potential legal problems.

Regards,
Ingo