Naming scheme for Qt5/KF5-based libraries outside of KF5

Alexander Potashev aspotashev at gmail.com
Sat Sep 26 16:41:01 BST 2015

Hi everyone,

We had a little discussion on how to name shared libraries in
kde-core-devel@ thread "Porting to frameworks 2: libkcompactdisc" [1],
but we did not come to consensus.

The question is, if you release a shared library with deps on Qt5
and/or KF5, but the lib is not part of KF5, how should the .so file be
named?

1. Many people prefer a "KF5" prefix, e.g. libKF5Screen.so).
2. Another way of naming is a -qt5 suffix, e.g. libmarblewidget-qt5.so.
3. (probably some others?)

Friedrikh said in [1] that using a KF5 prefix for all libraries will
"blur the hint by the name if something is part of KF5 or not".

Any thoughts? I believe we can have guidelines for library names.

And another question that developers might ask in the future: These
prefixes/suffixes are probably not necessary when the library is new,
i.e. did not have a Qt4 version under the same name (e.g. KDb) -
should such libraries still use a prefix/suffix?

[1] http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.kde.devel.core/87533

--
Alexander Potashev