Naming scheme for Qt5/KF5-based libraries outside of KF5

Sune Vuorela nospam at vuorela.dk
Sat Sep 26 17:27:22 BST 2015

On 2015-09-26, Alexander Potashev <aspotashev at gmail.com> wrote:
> 1. Many people prefer a "KF5" prefix, e.g. libKF5Screen.so).
> 2. Another way of naming is a -qt5 suffix, e.g. libmarblewidget-qt5.so.
> 3. (probably some others?)
>
> Friedrikh said in [1] that using a KF5 prefix for all libraries will
> "blur the hint by the name if something is part of KF5 or not".
>
> Any thoughts? I believe we can have guidelines for library names.

I do think that having things named KF5 that aren't actual frameworks is
bad for several reasons.

1) It blurs what's a framework
2) We promise ABI and API compatibility for frameworks, but not for
other things
3) Moving something from "not a KDE Framework" to "KDE Framework" gives
a last chance for fixing up abi/api.

so. foo-qt5 is fine for a qt5 version of foo.

/Sune