building kio on Mac

Allen Winter winter at kde.org
Sat Jun 6 17:15:43 BST 2015

On Saturday, June 06, 2015 10:41:48 AM Alex Merry wrote:
> On Wednesday 27 May 2015 06:56:29 Allen Winter wrote:

> > > -DCMAKE_INSTALL_BUNDLEDIR="{instPrefix}/Applications/KF5" -
> > > DDATA_INSTALL_DIR="{instPrefix}/Library/Application Support"
> >
> > Why can't we put these settings in the top-level buildsystem?
>
> IIRC, there was some disagreement over the correct approach to take, both on
> OSX and Windows (installing to the operating system's idea of where various
> files should go vs patching Qt to allow for environment variables to put them
> in other places). I think the outcome of that was that KDEers generally
> preferred the patching Qt route, but Qt didn't want to take that upstream.

Too bad  Qt didn't want the upstream fix.
And I suppose we aren't interesting in resurrecting KStandardDirs either.
rock vs. hard-place. neither side will yield

> Now, KDEInstallDirs currently sets KDE_INSTALL_BUNDLEDIR (which is the same as
> CMAKE_INSTALL_BUNDLEDIR) to "/Applications/KDE", but sets KDE_INSTALL_DATADIR
> (which is the same as DATA_INSTALL_DIR) to "${CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX}/share". We
> could adjust those on OSX, but I don't know what would be the most useful
> settings. does $prefix/Applications or $prefix/Library make sense if $prefix
> is not / or $HOME? How do we deal with developers who just want to put
> something locally in their home dir vs "proper" installations? I don't know a
> whole lot about OSX software installation, so I'm not best placed to make
> these decisions.

I recall we decided a while back that $HOME was not the right approach on OSX.
I don't recall if the same was decided for Windows.

jpwhiting: you had this all figured out, didn't you?