building kio on Mac

Alex Merry alex.merry at kde.org
Sat Jun 6 10:41:48 BST 2015

On Wednesday 27 May 2015 06:56:29 Allen Winter wrote:
> On Tuesday, May 26, 2015 09:12:13 AM Scarlett Clark wrote:
> > On Tuesday, May 26, 2015 12:06:22 PM Allen Winter wrote:
> > > % kdesrc-build kio
> > > Could not locate file "kf5/kdoctools/customization" in
> > > ("/Users/allenwinter/Library/Application Support", "/Library/Application
> > > Support") Could not locate file "kf5/kdoctools/customization" in
> > > ("/Users/allenwinter/Library/Application Support", "/Library/Application
> > > Support") Error: Could not find kdoctools catalogs
> > >
> > > kdesrc-build kdoctools succeeded though.
> > > I recall this was a QStandardPaths thing. but I forgot the trick to
> > > solving.
> > >
> > > help.
> >
> > -DCMAKE_INSTALL_BUNDLEDIR="{instPrefix}/Applications/KF5" -
> > DDATA_INSTALL_DIR="{instPrefix}/Library/Application Support"
>
> Why can't we put these settings in the top-level buildsystem?

IIRC, there was some disagreement over the correct approach to take, both on
OSX and Windows (installing to the operating system's idea of where various
files should go vs patching Qt to allow for environment variables to put them
in other places). I think the outcome of that was that KDEers generally
preferred the patching Qt route, but Qt didn't want to take that upstream.

Now, KDEInstallDirs currently sets KDE_INSTALL_BUNDLEDIR (which is the same as
CMAKE_INSTALL_BUNDLEDIR) to "/Applications/KDE", but sets KDE_INSTALL_DATADIR
(which is the same as DATA_INSTALL_DIR) to "${CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX}/share". We
could adjust those on OSX, but I don't know what would be the most useful
settings. does $prefix/Applications or $prefix/Library make sense if $prefix
is not / or $HOME? How do we deal with developers who just want to put
something locally in their home dir vs "proper" installations? I don't know a
whole lot about OSX software installation, so I'm not best placed to make
these decisions.

Alex