Sysadmin report on the modernization of our infrastructure

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Fri Jan 23 02:08:20 GMT 2015

On Fri, Jan 23, 2015 at 9:04 AM, Dominik Haumann <dhaumann at kde.org> wrote:
> On Wednesday 21 January 2015 22:20:18 Eike Hein wrote:
>>
>> On 01/21/2015 05:12 AM, Ben Cooksley wrote:
>> > Hi all,
>> >
>> > As promised in the earlier thread, i'd like to present the sysadmin
>> > report on the state of the infrastructure surrounding our code.
>>
>> As someone on the original git infra team, I'm impressed - thanks
>> for your hard work.
>
> As someone not involved in sysadmin tasks, I'm also implressed :-)
> I trust the thorough research and I'm all for just giving it a try. There
> are already plenty of volunteers to test this.
>
> One tiny question (or rather proposal): Will we be able to have a 1:1 mapping
> of the bug numbers of our ~377000 bugs on bko? That would help immensely also
> to find issues again even if bugzilla is completely dropped.

This will depend on when we run the migration. If we start using it
for task tracking before we migrate from Bugzilla, then we might have
to increase the bug numbers by a specified amount like Wikimedia had
to. Either way, the bug numbering should be kept intact in some form
or another.

If the Phabricator test is successful and is selected by the community
then we'll probably migrate our Git infrastructure first, before
conducting another round of consultation for Bug tracking.

> Keep it up! Thanks,
> Dominik

Thanks,
Ben