Adding experimental parts to a KF5 library

Mark Gaiser markg85 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 9 19:54:45 GMT 2015

On Fri, Jan 9, 2015 at 5:34 PM, Ivan Čukić <ivan.cukic at kde.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Because of the short release cycle for the frameworks, it is hard to
> have bigger new features included into one of them. Slowly evolving
> APIs while developing stuff leaves a lot of crud and deprecated
> methods later.
>
> What is our policy about having experimental (unstable API/ABI) parts
> in a framework (obviously, in a separate binary, so that the main
> library remains BC)?
>

> Cheerio,
> Ivan

The C++ committee uses (for example) std::experimental::something. Why
don't we adapt the same in frameworks.
There it would probably be: <framework>::experimental::something.

Or Qt as another example, they simply say it's a "technology preview" :)
I don't think they put it under a special namespace.