Build dependency issues with kdesrc-build

Michael Pyne mpyne at kde.org
Sat Feb 7 00:46:28 GMT 2015

On Fri, February 6, 2015 15:11:22 Kevin Funk wrote:
> On Thursday 05 February 2015 22:16:54 Michael Pyne wrote:
> > However as of now it only reorders modules you pull into the build list,
> > so
> > you still need to specify dependencies somehow. E.g. if you only asked to
> > build plasmate, kdesrc-build wouldn't pull kdevplatform for you, but if
> > you
> > asked to build both kdesrc-build would do it in the right order.
>
> Question: Can't we add an option that does exactly that? Anything that'd
> prevent us to do so?

I've been meaning to forever now. :-/

The only real catch is that you'd probably want to have a way to specify
dependencies not to include, and what to do with "soft" deps.

> > Please note that the kf5-*-build-include files with kdesrc-build are not
> > authoritative information about what depends on what, they are very coarse
> > groupings intended to help with high-level organization.
>
> Hm, but in fact it gives you the information about the actual package
> dependencies pretty precisely, no? (Otherwise the whole CI infrastructure
> wouldn't work -- Our CI scripts can figure out the exact dependency set
> needed for a build)

We're talking about two different things. The CI scripts (and kdesrc-build)
use data from the kde-build-metadata git module, which *is* authoritative
regarding which modules depend on which.

The kf5-*-build-include files come with kdesrc-build itself, and are generally
used with a sample kdesrc-buildrc to tell kdesrc-build which KF5 modules to
build. These files don't include dependencies per se (though the order that
modules are listed is used as a hint in the absence of any other dependency
information). Rather they are used to get kdesrc-build to bother with building
those specific KF5 modules in the first place.

Regards,
 - Michael Pyne