Build dependency issues with kdesrc-build

Kevin Funk kfunk at kde.org
Sat Feb 7 10:24:27 GMT 2015

On Friday 06 February 2015 19:46:28 Michael Pyne wrote:
> On Fri, February 6, 2015 15:11:22 Kevin Funk wrote:
> > On Thursday 05 February 2015 22:16:54 Michael Pyne wrote:
> > > However as of now it only reorders modules you pull into the build list,
> > > so
> > > you still need to specify dependencies somehow. E.g. if you only asked
> > > build plasmate, kdesrc-build wouldn't pull kdevplatform for you, but if
> > > you
> > > asked to build both kdesrc-build would do it in the right order.
> >
> > Question: Can't we add an option that does exactly that? Anything that'd
> > prevent us to do so?
>
> I've been meaning to forever now. :-/
>
> The only real catch is that you'd probably want to have a way to specify
> dependencies not to include, and what to do with "soft" deps.

These are all additional features.

Just start off with "no way to filter deps", and "don't build soft deps", rest
could be implemented later.

> > > Please note that the kf5-*-build-include files with kdesrc-build are not
> > > authoritative information about what depends on what, they are very
> > > coarse
> > > groupings intended to help with high-level organization.
> >
> > Hm, but in fact it gives you the information about the actual package
> > dependencies pretty precisely, no? (Otherwise the whole CI infrastructure
> > wouldn't work -- Our CI scripts can figure out the exact dependency set
> > needed for a build)
>
> We're talking about two different things. The CI scripts (and kdesrc-build)
> use data from the kde-build-metadata git module, which *is* authoritative
> regarding which modules depend on which.

Thanks for the clarification, in fact I was thinking about kde-build-metadata
for dependency information, which kdesrc-build takes advantage of.

> The kf5-*-build-include files come with kdesrc-build itself, and are
> generally used with a sample kdesrc-buildrc to tell kdesrc-build which KF5
> modules to build. These files don't include dependencies per se (though the
> order that modules are listed is used as a hint in the absence of any other
> dependency information). Rather they are used to get kdesrc-build to bother
> with building those specific KF5 modules in the first place.

Ah, okay. Didn't know that.