RFC: KDE Bugzilla Bugs Expiration

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Mon Aug 3 08:36:30 BST 2015

On Mon, Aug 3, 2015 at 9:19 AM, Ingo Klöcker <kloecker at kde.org> wrote:
> On Saturday 01 August 2015 01:49:13 Daniel Vrátil wrote:
>> I like the idea of a nag and I don't think it necesarily conflicts with the
>> ideas above. Having a weekly/bi-weekly nags to developers would IMO work
>> ("hey, you have 10 new bugs this week that you did not comment on or
>> confirmed yet, please look at them asap").  If the developer ignores the
>> bugs even after that then it becomes a different problem, but that I don't
>> know how to solve.
>
> It certainly wouldn't work for me. I know because I'm nagged all the time by
> mailman that there are n messages in the moderation queue. I know this because
> I also receive each individual moderation request. The nagging is just
> annoying.
>
> I'm filtering out all kdepim bug reports (yeah, I could just unsubscribe from
> the list). I'll certainly filter out the nag mails as well.
>
> If I was still interested in the bug reports then I'd prefer to create my own
> workflow for handling them without being annoyed by some robot that doesn't no
> anything about how I work.

Note that behaviour such as the above (aggressive filtering) is one of
the reasons Sysadmin moved away from using Bugzilla for our task
tracking - because our replies effectively got ignored until we
pestered developers via IRC or private email.

Such filters are extremely disrespectful to the community at large
(including users and all other contributors) and should not be used as
they simply result in important issues being completely neglected.

> Regards,
> Ingo

Regards,
Ben