[Development] Please help me get my pending review count down

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Sun Aug 2 18:32:21 BST 2015

On Sunday 02 August 2015 13:46:02 Christoph Cullmann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> is one of the problems the misuse of QDBus in KUniqueApplication before the
> actual QApplication is constructed?

That's the working theory, but it's not proven. All I know is what Albert
reported when I asked him to test my patches in a KF5 environment and a Unity
one.

> Would it be possible to just create in that case a temporary
> QCoreApplication on the stack in KUniqueApplication::start?

QtDBus is supposed to work with construction, destruction and reconstruction
of QCoreApplication. I think I have tests for that, but I would be surprised
if you found a few cobwebs.

> Kate had similar "I get stuck" problems until the QApplication was correctly
> constructed in all cases before the first QDBus use.

That's one of the things I fix in this patchset by moving the socket handling
to another thread.

However, I think I forgot to include the patches that change QCoreApplication
event delivery and creates the QDaemonThread class... QDBusConnectionManager
isn't using QDaemonThread, but delivery of events when QCoreApplication isn't
extant relies on those patches.

... which makes me wonder: did I fix the problem but never gave Albert the
patches that fixed them?

      PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
      E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358