Distros and QtWebEngine

Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer perezmeyer at gmail.com
Mon Apr 20 19:52:12 BST 2015

On Monday 20 April 2015 20:17:13 Albert Astals Cid wrote:
[snip]
> IMHO the duty of a distro is providing software to their users to use, if
> the rules of the distro make providing software hard/impossible they need
> to be updated or these distros need to understand they will lose users to
> more flexible distros.

Let me begin that I acknowledge you have a fair point there. But using the
same reasoning users can also switch to using other apps.

I could also say that Fedora+Debian+Debian derivatives (Ubuntu is mostly in
the same position as us) is also a large userbase for KDE to loose.

But *it's not really* about which distro or app is going to loose more user
base, it's about keeping the current one. I don't want Debian nor KDE to loose
users, in the same way I do not want to ship something that's unmaintainable.

So if any of us with with an upstream hat is going to code something, please
consider that having a hard dependency on QtWebEngine might mean his/her code
might not get available to everyone as it used to be, that's all.

--
Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer
http://perezmeyer.com.ar/