Distros and QtWebEngine

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Mon Apr 20 20:56:05 BST 2015

El Dilluns, 20 d'abril de 2015, a les 15:52:12, Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez
Meyer va escriure:
> On Monday 20 April 2015 20:17:13 Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> [snip]
>
> > IMHO the duty of a distro is providing software to their users to use, if
> > the rules of the distro make providing software hard/impossible they need
> > to be updated or these distros need to understand they will lose users to
> > more flexible distros.
>
> Let me begin that I acknowledge you have a fair point there. But using the
> same reasoning users can also switch to using other apps.

Users are free to do what they want, that's obvious, but if the user switches
is not because we used QtWebEngine in an app, sane users could not care the
less which technologies we use.

If the user switches is because for some reason the distro decided that their
rules are more important than the user and forced him either to switch distro
or to switch apps by not packaging something.

> I could also say that Fedora+Debian+Debian derivatives (Ubuntu is mostly in
> the same position as us) is also a large userbase for KDE to loose.
>
> But *it's not really* about which distro or app is going to loose more user
> base, it's about keeping the current one. I don't want Debian nor KDE to
> loose users, in the same way I do not want to ship something that's
> unmaintainable.

Maybe you guys should just trust the Qt project to maintain QtWebEngine and
just run with what they provide instead of needing 3 people to "maintain" it
yourselves?

What's wrong with that besides it going against your rules?

That you need to provide longer maintaince times than what Qt upstream
provides?

Just state that there's no such long maintaince time for that package or just
install the newer version of Qt. And yes again that probably goes against your
rules, but it's your rules, so you can just improve them for everyone's
benefit :)

Cheers,
  Albert