Muon and kde-gtk-config moved to kde/workspace - was - Re: Moving repositories in the module structure

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Sun Oct 5 19:30:33 BST 2014

El Divendres, 3 d'octubre de 2014, a les 03:28:44, Aleix Pol va escriure:
> On Fri, Oct 3, 2014 at 1:52 AM, Albert Astals Cid <aacid at kde.org> wrote:

> > > My apologies, I shouldn't have rushed into doing such moves and send
> > > e-mails to all the interested parties.
> > >
> > > If someone considers it appropriate, I can roll some of the changes
> > > back.
> >
> > Maybe you should explain the changes so people is aware of them :)
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> >   Albert
> >
> > > Aleix
>
> Changes:
> - kde-gtk-config was moved from extragear/base to kde/workspace.
> - muon was moved from extragear/sysadmin to kde/workspace.
>
> That is, only projects.kde.org structure change.

That's a total understament, it changes them from being something "extra" to
be something totally core. So it's not "only" at all.

> The reasoning is that this way they will be released together with Plasma
> Workspace.

I don't see that anyone can have a problem with kde-gtk-config.

The muon move i see as much less clear, there are other "installers" provided
by KDE (kpackagekit comes to mind) and muon is not widely used (AFAIK) outside
KUbuntu, thus putting all the weight of making it a core thing is something I
think we should not be doing without a bigger discussion with the community,
and not just in Plasma.

> As they've been used they don't really make sense outside Plasma
> (especially the first) and we want to make sure that distros know these
> components are designed to work together with Plasma.

you're saying muon doesn't make sense outside plasma? how come? How does it
stop working?

> I didn't notify kde-core-devel because it didn't occur to me that the
> community would have an opinion regarding whether it's me who releases the
> packages or Jonathan (who has been doing the Plasma packages).

Again, that's a total understament, i feel very sad you think that
extragear/base vs kde/workspace is "just who releases the packages".

Can you also please clarify to which release of plasma do you want to add this
packages? I hope Plasma 5.2 since we're less than two weeks away from 5.1
release and Beta has been released already, right?

Cheers,
  Albert