autostart confusion

Thomas Lübking thomas.luebking at gmail.com
Fri Nov 7 20:44:30 GMT 2014

On Freitag, 7. November 2014 21:28:15 CEST, Jeremy Whiting wrote:

> The way I see it this should be documented well, and the kcm
> needs to be adjusted to not show scripts from ~/.config/autostart
> since kinit wont be starting those.

http://standards.freedesktop.org/autostart-spec/autostart-spec-latest.html

$XDG_CONFIG_DIRS/autostart/*.desktop is supposed to be started AFTER the session is initialized, what is different from ~/.config/plasma-workspace/env/ (etc.) which is supposed to be run BEFORE the session starts, ie. you'd export session wide env vars there, but launch applications which must talk to <service here> in the autostart folder.

Check your $XDG_CONFIG_DIRS and $XDG_CONFIG_HOME variables, see whether that's the reason and otherwise i'd suggest to file a bug against whatever component holds the session startup script.

Cheers,
Thomas