Final kde-runtime splitting plan

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Wed Mar 26 23:27:08 GMT 2014

On Wed, Mar 26, 2014 at 12:37 PM, Carlos De Maine <carlos at demaine.org>wrote:

>  On Wed, 26 Mar 2014 11:28:24 AM Àlex Fiestas wrote:

> and

> > > Kio-network works on 4.13 for me.
>
> > > http://wstaw.org/w/2ADU/[1]
>
> > > Does have a weird issue that it has to be refreshed twice to show any
>
> > > content for the first time, but works perfectly after that.
>
> > > Would be a pity to remove the only network browser.
>

> > You can't actually execute anything from it can you? It is basically a
>
> > browser that lets you list things but little more which is quite useless
>
> > imho.
>

> > I'm good on moving it elsewhere but what I would like to avoid is
> shipping
>
> > this not finished kio as part of the official release which servers only
>
> > use (browser and discovery) that most people do not need by itself.
>

> It opens fish/sftp, smb, afc kioslaves in dolphin, launches krdc for rfb
> and vnc, opens konsole (at password entry stage) for ssh. In the past when
> the upnp kioslave was still compiling i was able to access my upnp shares
> around the network as well.
>

> I agree its not fully functional but in it's present state it is still
> incredibly useful in the file dialog for accessing the network transparency
> of kde's kioslaves. With a bit of polish (such as linking ktp to
> *.presence, fish kioslave for *.udisks-ssh) it would be perfect.
>

> Cheers
>
> > Cheers.

It is a pity indeed. I just tried it myself on KDE4 and it seems like it
wants to work but it doesn't quite.

I wouldn't want this to prolongue, this project couldn't go through
kdereview at the moment successfully, so there's little reason for it to
stay in.

Instead of removing, we can put it differently and move it to a little farm
where kioslaves go die, but if somebody doesn't commit to it, it has to go.

Also there's many other kioslaves in need for love: ** Adopt your kioslave
**

Aleix