Final kde-runtime splitting plan

Carlos De Maine carlos at demaine.org
Wed Mar 26 11:37:25 GMT 2014

On Wed, 26 Mar 2014 11:28:24 AM Àlex Fiestas wrote:
> On Wednesday 26 March 2014 09:52:08 Carlos De Maine wrote:
> > On Tue, 25 Mar 2014 04:18:22 PM Àlex Fiestas wrote:
> > > Hi there
> > >
> > > Today Aleix and I are starting to split kde-runtime so we have gone
> > > through
> > > all the components again making sure that everything has a suitable
> > > destination. The result is this [1] wiki.
> > >
> > > Please, check that you are ok with the destination of each component and
> > > also check the things that have been targeted as **REMOVE** should be
> > > really removed (we believe so).
> >
> > Kio-network works on 4.13 for me.
> > http://wstaw.org/w/2ADU/[1]
> > Does have a weird issue that it has to be refreshed twice to show any
> > content for the first time, but works perfectly after that.
> > Would be a pity to remove the only network browser.
>
> You can't actually execute anything from it can you? It is basically a
> browser that lets you list things but little more which is quite useless
> imho.
>
> I'm good on moving it elsewhere but what I would like to avoid is shipping
> this not finished kio as part of the official release which servers only a
> use (browser and discovery) that most people do not need by itself.

It opens fish/sftp, smb, afc kioslaves in dolphin, launches krdc for rfb and vnc, opens
konsole (at password entry stage) for ssh. In the past when the upnp kioslave was
still compiling i was able to access my upnp shares around the network as well.

I agree its not fully functional but in it's present state it is still incredibly useful in the
file dialog for accessing the network transparency of kde's kioslaves.  With a bit of
polish (such as linking ktp to *.presence, fish kioslave for *.udisks-ssh) it would be
perfect.

Cheers