What to test for 4.13?

Jos Poortvliet jospoortvliet at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 10:32:29 GMT 2014

On Saturday 08 March 2014 12:47:38 GEO wrote:
> On Friday 07 March 2014 20:17:16 Christoph Feck wrote:
> > In other words, let us ask the "are we there yet?" question again for
> > KDEPIM, and invite users to report thing that still might need to be
> > addressed.
>
> If you ask me, KDEPIM offers a stable experience since 4.11 (Using it since
> 4.11 and everything just works for me, but I am just using it for Mails).

You said that at the wrong time, since yesterday I have to sacrifice chickens
to get my Gmail inbox to sync :(

I'd re-add the Gmail account if it didn't take forever to download and
especially index the email - so I am greatly looking forward to 4.13 ;-)

> However new users not familiar with kmail will notice the following
> instantly (have not tried 4.13 though): When adding an Imap account they
> will immediately get a notification, that the imap ressource is broken.
> (see http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-pim&m=133524726312376). They will think
> kmail is broken now, although they need just to press "Check Mail" and the
> imap resource will work as expected.
> This would be something I would definitely look into, even if its just a
> notification, but that will distract new users.
>
> Apart from that, the decision how Local folders work is a bit different
> compared to other mail clients will confuse new users if they do not know
> about it, which I think may lead to their opinion stating that it is
> broken. (e.g. if you  add a second pop3 account, no new folders will be
> created, everything will just be mixed up with the existing local folders,
> or sent mails of imap accounts will land in Local folders, which will
> distract the users when they have configured more than one imap account).
> Of course advanced users can configure the mentioned things in this
> paragraph, but new users will be terribly confused.
>
> Please do not get me wrong, I am a satisfied user, but I think this area
> needs some work. You may disagree with the second paragraph, but the first
> issue with the broken resource definitely needs to be fixed.
> Unfortunately I did not find the time yet to look into it, but I suppose it
> would take very long, as I do not have experience.

Luckily the Pimsters are blessed with new blood and I hope the renewed energy
will result in somebody picking up things like the above.