What to test for 4.13?

GEO 1g2e3o4 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 8 11:47:38 GMT 2014

On Friday 07 March 2014 20:17:16 Christoph Feck wrote:
> In other words, let us ask the "are we there yet?" question again for
> KDEPIM, and invite users to report thing that still might need to be
> addressed.

If you ask me, KDEPIM offers a stable experience since 4.11 (Using it since
4.11 and everything just works for me, but I am just using it for Mails).

However new users not familiar with kmail will notice the following instantly
(have not tried 4.13 though): When adding an Imap account they will
immediately get a notification, that the imap ressource is broken. (see
http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-pim&m=133524726312376). They will think kmail is
broken now, although they need just to press "Check Mail" and the imap
resource will work as expected.
This would be something I would definitely look into, even if its just a
notification, but that will distract new users.

Apart from that, the decision how Local folders work is a bit different
compared to other mail clients will confuse new users if they do not know
about it, which I think may lead to their opinion stating that it is broken.
(e.g. if you  add a second pop3 account, no new folders will be created,
everything will just be mixed up with the existing local folders, or sent
mails of imap accounts will land in Local folders, which will distract the
users when they have configured more than one imap account).
Of course advanced users can configure the mentioned things in this paragraph,
but new users will be terribly confused.

Please do not get me wrong, I am a satisfied user, but I think this area needs
some work. You may disagree with the second paragraph, but the first issue with
the broken resource definitely needs to be fixed.
Unfortunately I did not find the time yet to look into it, but I suppose it
would take very long, as I do not have experience.