Moving Baloo forward

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Fri Jan 17 09:49:51 GMT 2014

On Friday, 2014-01-17, 01:47:17, Albert Astals Cid wrote:

> If we move now, in one year we will have had 1 year of real usage uncovering
> bugs and 1 year of bugfixes.
>
> If we move in one year, we will have lost that 1 year of real usage (since
> few people will be using it) and so in one year we will be in the same
> situation as we are now.

Isn't there also the option to switch selected applications to Baloo now and
others later, e.g. on their respective maintainers schedule?

For example move KDE PIM to Baloo, which I think we have agreement on
internally, and migrating "our" data in the process. That should not create
any issues since it is unlikely that anyone was accessing "our" data directly
through Nepomuk instead of using our APIs.

That should give Baloo and its APIs a lot of testing, almost certainly improve
the situtation for us (KDE PIM), but neither touch anyone else's semantic data
nor interrrupt their technology stack (as a bonus move load away from their
stack).

There might be other examples of apps that can safely move without affecting
any other current user of Nepomuk.

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring