Lokalization for KDE AppStream AppData files

Matthias Klumpp matthias at tenstral.net
Tue Feb 25 20:15:36 GMT 2014

> On Tuesday, 2014-02-25, 20:32:49, Albert Astals Cid wrote:
>> >
>> > escriure:

>> > script/theothertool could probably add an XML comment, something like
>> > "this
>> > is a generate file, do not edit, edit source file xyz instead".
>>
>> It could, as well as it could work on a single file, but does it do that?
>
> No idea, but prepending a comment sounds easy compared to the other thing :)
>
> And the workflow of both intltool and itstool suggest that they always
> consider their output to be fully generated and not editable so they should
> really have the option of writing such a warning.
> Just like UIC does or MOC.
Only developers should have to edit that file - translators will
translate the po file which is used by itstool/intltool to translate
the XML. And I consider developers to be smart enough to edit the
source-file and not the generated one (print a warning somewhere might
be a good idea anyway...)
Itstool has a nice summary of the workflow described here:
http://itstool.org/documentation/basic-usage/