Splitting kactivities reporitory

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Aug 26 14:56:31 BST 2014

On Tuesday, August 26, 2014 12.13:24 Ivan Čukić wrote:
> > Does the library make sense without the daemon? If not then it falls into
> > this constraint from https://community.kde.org/Frameworks/Policies :
> >
> > "Solutions have a mandatory runtime dependencies, it is part of their
> > design and where their added value comes from"
>
> That is the reason it ended up in the same repository.
>
> But it is not really mandatory. The library does not do anything (at least
> not at the moment) but it can function without any issues even if the
> service is not present. Meaning that apps don't need to ifdef every part of
> their code- base that touches activities in order to properly work without
> the service. They will think that there is only one activity, and they can
> behave accordingly.

Right; but that's probably not the expected behavior from either an
application developer's or a user's POV, correct? I assume they expect that
using the library and having the framework for activities installed means it
will actually work.

That implies having the service with the framework.

> While the library is guaranteed to be compilable on crappy^Wvarious
> compilers and functional on any platform, the service is not - nor it will
> be - it is *nix only with the possibility to be run on other systems (like
> plasma).

The session handling won't work, that's for sure; that is tightly bound to
kwin and ksmserver. That's not entirely unexpected ... (Quite a # of dbus
calls in there to complete a single activity changed .. library -> service ->
kwin -> ksmerver and back again.)

Is it a matter of not wanting to use "dumbed-down" C++11 (so it won't compile
on all platforms) or are there really no features in the service which are
self-hosting?

It seems from a quick read of the code that without kwin/ksmserver, it still
switches activities, you just don't get application session handling with
that. So it is functional, just missing features?

--
Aaron J. Seigo