Adopting AppData in KDE?

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed Nov 6 11:22:44 GMT 2013

On Wednesday, November 6, 2013 00:04:47 Matthias Klumpp wrote:
> Plasmoids might make sense to be only displayed on KDE
> Extensions on KDE). If these things would be treated as applications

This is honestly an area where I don’t see much point in pushing AppStream
further.

As a front-end for the package manager and giving some way to allow desktops
to provide a desktop-specific UI, I think AppStream makes loads of sense.

For everything else, it’s going to be “round pegs, square holes”. The filtering
of items is done in the wrong place, the ability to handle things that aren’t
applications is limited, etc.

To me, AppStream is something to extend apper and such tools with. If we want
a way to distribute general content in a context relevant manner, Bodega is
actually designed for this.

I understand the AppStream devels are probably quite excited about what
they’ve got going on (I would be, too, if I were them), but KDE needs to make
intelligent choices as to what makes sense for our use cases, and AppStream is
not that thing.

--
Aaron J. Seigo