Adopting AppData in KDE?

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Sat Nov 2 14:37:02 GMT 2013

On 2 November 2013 13:35, Matthias Klumpp <matthias at tenstral.net> wrote:
>> OCS is, generally, horribly designed. I am even hesitant to use the word
>> ‘design’ in combination with OCS. It is really that bad, and why we did not
>> use it for Bodega.
> I agree with that, and this is the reason why I currently question the
> use of OCS for AppStream. This still needs to be discussed with the
> others, but I would rather like to use an improved OCS or a completely
> new API for the AppStream Ratings&Review features (as well for maybe
> payments, but that's a different issue).

Well, I've not done any technical review of the OCS code, but in
Fedora I've chosen to use fedora-tagger for ratings and comments. It's
not hardcoded and I'd be open to doing something else.

> I like collaboration ;-) I still need to learn about Bodega, but e.g.
> AppStream could adopt the ratings & reviews parts. The only thing
> which AppStream always needs to care of is being distro- and
> desktop-agnostic.

Right. You have to make hard decisions too. Is a rating for
gnome-calculator 3.8 on Ubuntu Linux applicable for gnome-calculator
3.10 on Fedora Linux? There are lots of thony issues about moderation
if you allow {anonymous} user comments too.

> On topic: I wanted to create a Wiki page about AppData in KDE and the
> propose to adopt it ;-) It might still be worth to create one to
> clarify the questions raised above.

If you do, yell and I'll help fill in some details.

Richard.