kdev-python move to extragear -- once more

Pino Toscano pino at kde.org
Sat Mar 9 11:13:08 GMT 2013

Hi,

Alle sabato 16 febbraio 2013, Sven Brauch ha scritto:
> A while ago, I asked for a review of kdev-python, in order for it to
> be moved from playground to extragear. There was some (legitimate)
> objection about the fork of the python parser code the plugin
> contains, which is why the move has not taken place yet, and
> kdev-python is still residing in kdereview.
>
> I'm actively working on solving the issue -- chances that a patch can
> be applied upstream which enables me to drop the fork are good. [1]
> (This would however only apply to future releases of the python 3
> version of the plugin, since the patch introduces binary-incompatible
> changes upstream which cannot be backported to python 2.)
>
> Thus, I would suggest to move kdev-python to extragear, even if the
> issue is not solved yet.
> If you disagree, let me know, in that case I must move kdev-python
> back to playground and propose it for review again once the fork has
> been removed from the master branch. I would however prefer not to do
> this.

Considering the libpython fork in kdevpython is:
a) outdated (it is forked from python 2.7.1, current 2.7 is 2.7.3);
   considering 2.7.1 has been released on 27/10/2010 and 2.7.3 on
   9/4/2012, this means it is one years and half behind fixes and
   improvements of any kind
b) modified (so it is not totally pristine sources which can be updated
   from upstream sources, if needed)

this situation still makes me put -1 on this, sorry.

I can understand it can seem frustrating having this kind of situation,
but as both KDE developer and distro (Debian) developer I cannot find
acceptable letting yet another case of embbeded code copy [1] in a new
"extragear" software, yet more so when the software copied is something
critical as python. As said in previous emails, this would put a non-
trivial burden over packagers (and potentially also over self-compiling
users).

[1] OTOH you are not the only one -- hello Gilles Caulier!

--
Pino Toscano