kdev-python move to extragear -- once more

Sven Brauch svenbrauch at googlemail.com
Sat Mar 9 12:48:01 GMT 2013

Hi Pino,

considering kdev-python is only using the Parser part of python, this
is actually all that has changed in the two years between 2.7.1 and
2.7.3:
http://paste.kde.org/691184/
As far as I can see, there's not a single change which would affect
the behavior of kdev-python in any way. And I do not expect such
changes to happen in further maintenance releases -- after all,
they're maintenance releases for fixing bugs, and the Python 2.7
*parser* code does not exactly have hundreds of bugs. And, since
Python 2 is dead anyways, no non-maintenance releases are going to
happen.

If it was only about this -- I could easily keep the fork updated with
the 2.7.x releases. But, as said, I don't really see a point, since
it's not going to affect kdev-python anyways. I see even less reason
for why anyone other than me should ever want to do such an update,
since it will most likely be a) irrelevant for  kdev-python or b) do
some changes which would actually affect kdev-python, but would then
need updates to kdev-python itself since it's very tightly integrated
with the parser code.

Still, altough I don't agree with the two points you raised, I see
your overall problem with this, and you can rest assured that I'm very
much interested in getting the fork removed as soon as possible too
(see my previous emails). So, if this is your last word, I'm going to
move kdev-python back to playground, wait for the Python 3.4 release,
and start the whole review process once again. It's not really going
to change much -- most distributions will still package kdev-python
and the fork is not going to be removed any sooner. It's just a bit
more annoying.

I'm not angry or anything, after all this is a review and if there was
no negative outcomes then it would be pretty pointless. I just wished
you would list reasons I could agree with -- there's the general "a
fork is a horrible solution", which I totally agree with, but which is
a rather philosophical point. I'm still missing an example of a real
world situation where this fork specifically would be a problem.

Best regards,
Sven