startkde modifies PATH to add qt4 bin dir to the front

David Faure faure at kde.org
Mon Jun 17 14:57:21 BST 2013

Le lundi 17 juin 2013 01:08:39 Albert Astals Cid a écrit :
> So my path in a Plasma session is
> /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt4/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/
> usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games:/usr/local/games
>
> This makes the QT_SELECT thing from qtchooser not work
> since if i do
> QT_SELECT=qt5 moc
> i still get the /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt4/bin moc in path first
>
> Any idea why are we doing that?
> David you mention something about "D-Bus can be started" on your commit log
> in 037c855f772dfe738229d42107445bb58157747a 5 years ago
>
> Do we still need this? Can we at least change it so the path is added to the
> end?

Haha, you said David so I assumed you meant me :-)
But that was David Jarvie.

I assume he meant "qdbus", since I don't see any relation between the Qt path
and the dbus daemon.

I would agree that setting a correct path for the command line is up to the
shell, not to startkde. The question however, is whether any KDE app relies on
the PATH containing the Qt-provided executables. David (Jarvie), can you
explain if your change was about improving the command line setup or the PATH
as seen by the KDE applications?