startkde modifies PATH to add qt4 bin dir to the front

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Mon Jun 17 19:15:23 BST 2013

El Dilluns, 17 de juny de 2013, a les 13:57:21, David Faure va escriure:
> Le lundi 17 juin 2013 01:08:39 Albert Astals Cid a écrit :
> > So my path in a Plasma session is
> > /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt4/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin
> > :/ usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games:/usr/local/games
> >
> > This makes the QT_SELECT thing from qtchooser not work
> > since if i do
> > QT_SELECT=qt5 moc
> > i still get the /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt4/bin moc in path first
> >
> > Any idea why are we doing that?
> > David you mention something about "D-Bus can be started" on your commit
> > log
> > in 037c855f772dfe738229d42107445bb58157747a 5 years ago
> >
> > Do we still need this? Can we at least change it so the path is added to
> > the end?
>
> Haha, you said David so I assumed you meant me :-)
> But that was David Jarvie.

Yeah, somehow the mailing list dropped the CC

> I assume he meant "qdbus", since I don't see any relation between the Qt
> path and the dbus daemon.
>
> I would agree that setting a correct path for the command line is up to the
> shell, not to startkde. The question however, is whether any KDE app relies
> on the PATH containing the Qt-provided executables.

Nope, I can run KDE apps fine in an Unity session and the PATH has not been
corrupted by startkde

> David (Jarvie), can you
> explain if your change was about improving the command line setup or the
> PATH as seen by the KDE applications?

Maybe we should just make sure the qdbus calls in startkde have the full
qualified path and that's it?

Cheers,
  Albert