KDE/4.11 branched what to do with kde-workspace?

Michael Pyne mpyne at kde.org
Mon Jul 15 15:18:17 BST 2013

On Mon, July 15, 2013 10:46:49 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Friday, July 12, 2013 17:48:50 David Jarvie wrote:
> > best of intentions) for old habits to take over and to accidentally use
> > master again. This happened to me more than once.
>
> So  how can we make that clearer for people and hard for this sort of
> mistake to be made?
>
> Here’s a possible idea: we could make the build fail (along with a relevant
> message on console) unless a specific env var or a cmake option is passed.
> If it doesn’t build, you probably won’t end up using it, and hopefullya
> build failure gets noticed.

That (or something like it) would be wonderful.

Even where the tool *wants* to support Doing the Right Thing I have taken a
dim view at rewriting config files for the users.

However I can have the build failure cause kdesrc-build to display a specific
warning to the users that they have to adjust their config, if you want to
coordinate something like that I'd be happy to put it in.

Regards,
 - Michael Pyne